Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. ~John Muir

Yesterday I spent most of the day at Bukit Timah Nature Park and Reserve. I found myself lost in the beauty of the rainforest in the middle of a busy city, soaking in the colours and sounds. I saw animals I had never seen before, in particular the odd monitor lizard which seems out of place today--I imagine it lumbering around centuries ago, although it is small, but it reminds me of a mini-dinosaur.

The colours of the flowers were magnificent. I had never seen mangrove trees and there are spectacular. I saw the monkeys at the Reserve. They pretty much left me alone, keeping a watchful eye on me as I did them. I walked my feet off yesterday in weather that was humid and hot. I have grown a second layer of skin--moisture that is constantly with me.


Last night Celeste and I went out to one of the hawkers for supper--a mix of East Indian food and then for dessert Thai, a yummy mango sticky rice dish. Afterwards we went to the Canadian International School where she works for a musical entitled Pirates put on by the grades 4-6 classes. It was fun to see Celeste in her element, well-loved and highly engaged. I will return tonight with her for the official opening of the new school. She tells me that Cirque du Soleil will be performing.

Today I am late getting going so am not really sure how much I will do. I am heading downtown.

After yesterday's trek in nature, I do feel like I went inwards as I went out, quieting myself and finding myself in the stillness of a camera lens, one of my favourite things to do.

Peace,

Suzanne





No comments:

Post a Comment