Friday, March 23, 2012

A Beautiful Life

It’s in living every moment
Like it could be your last
For our hearts are restless till
They rest in Love’s caress

~ Beautiful Life, Corrinne May

Last night after a busy day of sightseeing, Celeste and I went to a Corrinne May concert. She is a Catholic, Singaporean troubadour with a "voice like butter" (Celeste's description). One of the songs on her new album is called Beautiful Life and these are the opening words to it. I try to live by this philosophy--it is very Ignatian actually. Living life as if you were on your death bed, making choices for the better good.

I have been praying a six-week Novena this Lent for some special intentions and after the concert, held at Celeste's church, I wondered if there might be reconciliation today. She asked one of the Franciscans who looked at me and said he could see me now. With a big smile, he asked, "Will you be very long?" I smiled back and assured him I would not be. This man turned out to be part of the answer of my Novena. I have read sometimes of confessors who can see the hearts of their people. This priest was able to read mine. He gave me several words of encouragement but one concept that stands out is that he commented that I seemed like a joyous person and that I need not to hold back. I needed to share that joy with the world, despite the pain that I am feeling about a situation in my life. I almost fell off my chair when he said that because it is the very prayer I have been offering up. This was one of the best sacraments of reconciliation that I have received in a long time. He took his task very seriously, was insightful, and even managed to crack a joke or two.

The Lenten reflection today was entitled, Don't Act in Anger, and that was another confirmation of my Lenten journey. Nouwen writes "...give yourself time to remember who you are, to get things in perspective, to remember that the person who upset you is a beloved child. Return to your own belovedness." Food to live by: no regrets for moments lived thoughtlessly if you are living as attentively as you can.

The photo here is of the laughing Buddha in Chinatown here in Singapore. I thought of how much joy is needed sometimes for this journey and if I had a photo of the laughing Jesus I would have posted it.

Peace,

Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment